Southminster Presbyterian Church Arlington Heights, IL
916 East Central Road, Arlington Heights, IL 60005 Telephone (874) 392-1060
Job Description – Part-Time Organist
Southminister Presbyterian Church seeks a highly qualified organist/pianist who will provide dynamic pipe organ and piano music that contributes to and enhances the traditional worship experience for Sunday morning worship, special services, funerals and weddings.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide organ/piano music for all traditional worship services, including Sunday traditional services, mid-week services (Advent, Christmas, Lent, Holy Week) and all special occasions where the organ is the primary instrument used.
- Rehearse with and accompany the adult choir at mid-week rehearsals (normally Wednesday evenings from 7:00 to 8:30 p.m.) and one- half hour prior to Sunday worship. The choir sings from mid-September through May.
- Rehearse with and accompany soloists and instrumentalists for traditional worship service and other special worship services, when necessary, on organ or piano.
- Provide regular organ solo works (Prelude, Postlude and Offertory, and other supporting selections) for traditional worship service and other special worship services, as needed.
- Work cooperatively with the Pastors and the Director of Traditional Music to plan and prepare music for traditional worship service and other special services.
- Provide organ music for weddings and funerals held at Southminster in collaboration with senior and associate pastors, or arrange for a substitute, if unavailable. (Pay for weddings, funerals, and memorial services is compensated additionally, based on an established fee schedule.)
- Collaborate with the Director of Traditional Music to oversee the tuning and maintenance of the organ and pianos as well as provide regular reports specifying maintenance needs to the Head of Staff and the Elder for Worship.
- Maintain a continuing professional level of musical training appropriate to the position as it evolves in the future
- A minimum of a Bachelor of Music degree required (an emphasis in organ performance preferred).
- Demonstrated ability to play pipe organ and piano required.
- Demonstrated ability to accompany choirs and individual musicians required.
- Demonstrated experience and ability playing in a worship setting required
- Understands how music contributes to the flow and meaning of worship
- Exhibits a commitment to the Christian faith
• Sundays: Traditional Services, normally held at 9:00 a.m., from September through May;
Six (6) or seven (7) of twelve (12) services during the summer, one service at 10:00, without choir, but with guest musicians or vocalists.
• $17,000-$20,000, dependent on experience and education
• Vacation days: two Sundays with related rehearsals; schedule of services to be arranged with the Head Pastor, Director of Traditional Music, and Personnel Ministry Team.
- Organizational skills, interpersonal relationships, and team player
- Technical expertise with piano and organ
- Knowledge of music and Presbyterian hymnody
- Ability to climb stairs to choir loft where the organ is located.
• Head of Staff/Senior Pastor and Director of Traditional Music
- Buzard Organ, Opus 9, 30 rank
- Sanctuary: Kawai Grand Piano, excellent condition
- Chapel: Kawai Grand, excellent condition
- Choir room rehearsal: Yamaha Grand, excellent condition
- Electronic Keyboard available
Submit cover letter and resume via email or U. S. Mail to:
U. S. Mail:
Organist Search Committee
Southminster Presbyterian Church
916 E. Central Road
Arlington Heights, Il 60005
Applications will be accepted until the position is no longer available.
Email inquiries: Leon Nelson, Director of Traditional Music, Lee@spcah.org