We’re glad you’re here and we would like to welcome you!
Welcome to an oasis of hope in the northwest suburbs! Looking for a new church? Never been to church? You have a place at Southminster. We are rare in our divided world. We have hundreds of opinions but one desire: to follow Jesus.
If you would like to explore our church further, we would love to introduce you to our congregation, and all of the ways you can be engaged at Southminster! Please email our Welcome Team and they will send you a Virtual Hello email with more information about ways to connect to us whether it is in-person or remotely. It will also provide you with a member from our congregation who is ready to serve as your personal welcome connection to Southminster!
Below are details that will give you a good snapshot of this community. Feel free to check out the rest of this website as well, or email Associate Pastor Liz Nickerson. She’d be happy to answer any questions you have.
- We’re a church nestled on the edge of the Scarsdale Community of Arlington Heights, about a mile southeast of downtown AH and next to Dryden Elementary School, in the ‘burbs of Chicago.
- A church of 250+ members, we’re small enough where you can be known and missed, but large enough to enjoy a diversity of programs and opportunities.
- Visitors frequently comment that we are very friendly, comfortable, and inspiring.
- Currently our staff includes one pastor, Associate Pastor Liz Nickerson, and other support staff.
- We’re Presbyterian by denomination (PCUSA), and we appreciate our heritage and traditions (which keeps us grounded and reasonable people), but we are not so tied to our denomination to be stuck in the past or stodgy–we like to keep things current and relevant, and focused on Jesus.
- We like small groups a lot. It’s one thing to be in a worship service and hear a message and sing songs, but it’s another thing to talk, be known, and to verbalize who you are and what you think.
- Our Sunday Video Service at 10:00 a.m. features elements of reformed worship that is Christ-centered, friendly, and provides an inviting atmosphere where people of all backgrounds and faith experiences can gather to worship God. The message preached each Sunday is inspiring to the human heart, relevant and soul-filling.
- Our PDO Preschool Program meets during the school year Tuesday – Friday, 9:00 a.m.- 1:00 p.m. for 1-5 year olds. It keeps the vibe around here fun and bustling during the day!
- We know a lot of people face challenges, so we have a Stephen Ministry care program that can help members and non-members on a one-on-one basis.
- We have teams of volunteers who work in areas of ministry in the church, and below are some of the teams listed on our website.
- Adult Education (spiritual formation of adults, small Bible study groups)
- Children’s Ministry (Infants – 5th grade – home faith materials, Sunday morning children’s chapel, and fun programming year-round)
- Church Life (events, membership, outreach)
- Deacons (special needs and crisis help)
- Justice/Faith in Action (justice issues impacting our local community)
- Mission (both local opportunities and broader-reaching organizations; both evangelism and service-valued)
- Worship (both traditional and contemporary)
- Youth (6th-12th grade – Sunday School and many events year-round)
Check us out on our Facebook page to see what we’re doing now!